Chapter Introduction: SCIENCE OF SOUND HOOK:
What would sound look like?
What could you learn about sound if you could see sound?
What is sound, anyway?
We use it and are in it all the time. But what is sound?TOPIC:
In this chapter we will explore what sound is and how it works.
Sound is vibration which spreads from its source to the air to the ear.
The ear changes the vibrations in the air into an electric signal you can hear. MODEL STEPS: Model Steps:
Vibrations spread into the air as a sound wave
Sound vibrates the ear
4. Ear changes sound into an electric vibrating signal sent to brain
Brain interprets the vibrating signal based on body and experiences Suggested LINKS:
1. Start with the Draw Sound Series here
. Draw along with Draw Sound videos 1-6.
2. Listen to, read, and sing along with sound music videos here
3. Listen to and read along with sound illustrated texts here
4. Read and write a story about sound here
5. Read and write poems about sound here
1. What is sound, a sound wave, and vibration?
2. How does sound work, from a guitar to the brain hearing the guitar?
3. In a sound wave, what goes up and down?
4. What is the difference between a low and high pitch sound?